In order to apply to Hopkins, you must submit standardized test scores. In most cases, the scores must be sent directly from the testing organization to the admissions office. Test scores must be received by January 15.
Please be assured that Hopkins does not have a cut-off for test scores. We review your application as a whole, which includes your grades and teacher recommendations.
If you have any questions, or if you find that the required testing is not available in your area, please contact us
APPLYING TO GRADE 7, 8, 9 or 10
Applicants for grades 7-10 must submit current ISEE
scores. Please do not substitute with SAT scores.
• Complete your ISEE or SSAT testing during the school year in which you're applying, no earlier than August.
• The test results should be in the Admissions Office by January 15 for a March decision. If you take a January test, we understand that the testing organization will forward the scores to us as soon as possible. Please let us know if you've had to delay testing beyond January.
• Instruct the ISEE or SSAT organization to send your scores directly to Hopkins. We cannot accept a family's copy of the scores because they do not include the required writing sample.
• If an SSAT test is not given in your area, check into the possibility of testing with an educational consultant
. If this alternative is not possible, then please contact us
• Hopkins's school codes are: SSAT 3995, ISEE 070490.
IF ENGLISH IS NOT YOUR FIRST LANGUAGE
• The TOEFL
(Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required if:
• your primary or fluent language is not English and
• you have not been taught primarily in English for the past four years
• Why do we require the TOEFL? Hopkins students must have a good command of written and spoken English to participate successfully in Hopkins's academic program. The TOEFL helps the Admissions Committee fully evaluate a student's competence in English.
• What's a good score? The Internet-based TOEFL exam (iBT) has four subsections, with a grading scale foreach section from 1 to 30 (30 being the best possible score). Hopkins does not require a minimum total score, rather student must earn the minimum score in each section:
• The TOEFL is required in addition to the standardized test for your grade (ISEE or SSAT) and is the only test that Hopkins accepts as evidence of English proficiency.
• Please designate Hopkins School as an office score recipeient on theTOEFL registration form. Hopkins School's TOEFL code is 4139.
IF YOU'RE HOMESCHOOLED
Applicants who are homeschooled are required to take the same tests as their peers, so be sure to check the requirements for your grade. If you've taken tests in addition to the ones required, we encourage you to share these additional scores with us.