Hopkins Grammar School was founded in 1660 in a one-room building on the New Haven Green. The school settled in its present location on a hill overlooking the city in 1926. When The Day School (founded in 1907) and the Prospect Hill School (founded in 1930) merged in 1960, the combined institution, Day Prospect Hill, became a strong center for the education of the area's young women. In 1972 Hopkins Grammar and Day Prospect Hill merged, creating a new coed school that perpetuates the best traditions of its predecessors.
Hopkins is committed to fostering those qualities that come from a liberal education: learning how to learn, how to think clearly, how to express ideas effectively, and how to work independently. Today, as throughout the school's history, students learn that knowledge should be tempered by ethical judgment, consideration for others, and esthetic sensibility; that curiosity and love of learning are essential ingredients in academic achievement and college preparation; and that intelligence and training carry with them the obligation to serve others.
For further historical information about Hopkins School, please contact Thom Peters, School Archivist.